Skip to content

Dressed for the Tweed Ride

October 23, 2011

I took part in the first Toronto Tweed Ride and made my own dress! It’s from a six versions in one pattern and I have successfully made two strapless dresses from it. However, the version with shoulders doesn’t quite match up with my body.

I’m very proud of the zipper facing – you can’t see any stitching on the outside and the inside is so neat!

I made up the lining as a muslin and it fit ok – not great, but I thought that it was because it was a lighter-weight fabric and did not have a skirt attached. However, now that I have completed the whole thing in the correct fabric, it is clear that the pattern has more space in the chest above the bust that my body does. This does not seem like an easy fix.

I wore it as is to the Tweed Ride, which was so much fun. With the coat I wore on top – sewn by my grandmother! – you couldn’t really tell there was a problem with the fit. There were lots of people taking photos of the event; this photo is from Worn Journal.

I suspect I am going to have to take the whole bodice apart, re-cut the middle piece and straps then put it all back together again to make it re-wearable, but it will be a great winter dress once it is fixed.

 

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: